- R2,902 million
- Capital expenditure
- R9,145 million
- 44,474kg (1.43Moz)
- Gold produced
- R434,663/kg (US$1,408/oz)
- Average gold price
- Number of employees
- R316 million
- Training and development
- Beatrix Social and Labour Plan approved
- Kloof and Driefontein Social and Labour Plans submitted
- Identification of and engagement with stakeholders
- R1,050 million
- socio-economic development expenditure
- Water used
- Energy used
- Rock mined
- Improving operational productivity and efficiencies
EXPLORATION AND NEW BUSINESS
Prospective targets are identified and exploration or due diligence is undertaken. Worthwhile opportunities undergo intensive evaluation.
Vertical shafts are in place to transport people and equipment to and from orebodies (more than 1,000m below surface) and to bring the ore mined to surface. Gold-bearing ore is drilled, blasted and the ore is brought to surface.
TREATMENT AND PROCESSING
Once mined, gold ore is processed into doré (unrefined gold bars) at the operations and dispatched to Rand Refinery for further beneficiation.
At Rand Refinery, the gold doré is refined and sold to bullion banks in South Africa and internationally, or to jewellery-fabrication industries. Gold is a significant component in a number of medical applications and lends itself to recycling.
The surface operations re-treat tailings, a product of processing, for residual gold and uranium. This re-mining serves as a form of rehabilitation as the tailings storage facilities are permanently removed.
REHABILITATION AND CLOSURE
Rehabilitation of the land disturbed by mining is an integral aspect of a mine plan from the beginning and throughout the life of an operation. Closure plans take the livelihoods of communities into account.
WHAT MAKES US DIFFERENT?
MATURE HIGH QUALITY OPERATIONS
- Proven operating methods, track record, well-understood geology
- Capital sunk into existing, quality infrastructure
- Excess capacity provides opportunity to increase throughput at minimum cost
- Opportunities to reduce unit costs and increase effectiveness
LARGE HIGH-GRADE RESOURCES Provide opportunity to bring to account vast resources at an appropriate cost structure
Low capital to maintain production levels
Mature operations offering possibilities for significant cash generation
Superior long-term dividend yield an area of focus
FIRST-MOVER ADVANTAGE AND STRATEGIC LOCATION
- Regional presence potentially offers value-accretive consolidation opportunities
REDUCE Costs and payments
OPTIMISE All capital including balance sheet
STRONG Cash flows